Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Just ask... and see what happens

Could it be the only thing separating you from
something good happening is a simple question?
I recently read a good article about this very topic a few weeks back while waiting for my son to finish a haircut appointment. It intrigued me because I am the type that would rather go without than take a risk and actually ask someone for something. This article challenged readers to think about throwing requests out there instead of cowering and missing out. What's the WORST that can happen... you get a no... that's not so bad really when considering what you might gain as a result of asking.
It got me thinking. Why don't I ask more often? Fear? A little uncomfortable? Too much trouble? What might happen if I did? I decided to try it out the next day by leaving a comment on my favorite author's blog post. I had the opportunity to meet her several weeks back at a Heart's at Home Conference. I served as her personal assistant and enjoyed some good conversations with her in between her speaking times. It was just a simple question that I aksed her ...but decided to ask if she might visit my blog sometime. It was bold for me but I did it! ...and guess what? SHE SAID YES! It was just a little experiment for me and something I did to grow out of my comfort zone just a little bit more.
My plan is to keep on the asking track to open the way for a little more adventure in life.... to see what happens! The Bible says... "You have not because you ASK not." "ASK and you will receive." Before I begin my adventure in more asking I especially plan to ASK GOD about the things on my heart first. It starts there doesn't it? Laying it all out there for Him, asking Him for what I really need. Asking for wisdom about my asking. Asking Him what I might ask the people around me to help set me up to accomplish more good. Asking just for the sake of asking to find out what happens next is pointless, but asking for things because we have first brought the ideas to God and feel a draw or pull that asking question "X" "Y" or "Z" might be next on the agenda of adventure... that's more purposeful. I believe God honors that kind of asking.
I have a new bold question brewing in my heart. I hope to gear it toward a personal trainer I see almost everyday. I don't currently know her, but she works everyday at Gold's Gym (did I mention I am working there now?...very fun!) For some reason I am drawn to her. She is always working with clients and seems like she really knows her stuff. It turns out she has been a personal trainer for 20 years! I watched her through a glass window separating the pool area from the hallway one day. She was so into her client and I could see the client was really into what she was saying too. Of the little I know of her I admire her so much and would love to sit in on one of her training sessions someday to learn from her. Can you guess my next adventure question? I am praying about when and how to ask her. I have such a long way to go to become an experienced personal trainer and I want to start by observing her. I'm lucky there are so many amazing personal trainers at Gold's. They mean business! They are tough and I can see they are helping people make lasting changes in their lives.
What about you? Are you an asker? Do you go for it and throw your requests out there? If not, what might happen if you tried it? My plan is to ask God first and then keep weaving possible questions around God-given life dreams and goals... and see what happens!
For your adventure keep this great promise in mind too... rely on it!
Ephesians 3:20
"He is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine according to his power that is at work within us."
Donna :O)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts... :O)