Monday, November 30, 2009

Divine Inerruptions

She woke up to find that 3 of her 6 family members were down and out. The sound of massive sneezing and sighs of misery first came from the person next to her. Her husband. "Oh no, please.. anybody but him," she thought. Next, as she walked into each bedroom she found her 13 year old son was next to show signs. He looked pale for a usually darker olive skinned toned boy. He had watery eyes and said his neck felt achy. Her 15 year old son passed with flying colors! He was up and ready to tackle the day. "Thank goodness he's ok," she thought to herself. She also breathed a sigh of relief to find daughter number 2 bright-eyed and happy to see the day. Daughter number 1 however seemed the worst of all. She immediately felt compassion and even worried about daughter number 1. She was hot to the touch, pale, dry lipped and stuffed up like her face was on the verge of exploding. Daughter 1 tried to speak but it came out sounding like a snooty operator. Poor thing. A call to the doctor would have to be next. And yes, it would interrupt her previously planned agenda for the day. She felt compassion for her family but also noticed there was a little selfish disappointment in her heart at the same time.

It had been several weeks of this same interruption which put the list of things she really wanted to do on hold. She stopped long enough to lift her heart up to God and listen to what he might like to say about her present state of heart. After a few minutes of quiet contemplation... she said inside... "Interruptions are not by chance. Interruptions are divine opportunities to come forth as gold! What will I do? Continue in my bad attitude and gripe, complain and rot inside as I try to serve my family with a fake smile, or with God's help genuinely rid myself of this selfish disgust, be thankful I have a family and serve with a heart that is moldable in the hands of God?" I have to care for them either way. I would be stupid not to see this as a chance to live and grow and continue to crucify the sinful nature."

"Why do I struggle with this at all God? If anyone looked inside my heart how dark it would seem. Thank you there is you!!! On days like today, THANK YOU THERE IS YOU!"

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes. In this flu and sickness season, what a post to read, identify with and be encouraged by.
    Every mom must be nodding her head that reads this. (tee hee...especially the line, "Oh no, please.. anybody but him," ) Hoping the dreaded sickness passes quickly, and YOU stay immune to it. That's the one thing I find out..is that if I AM the well one, I tend to do all the running, treating, nursing, and work, and I get WORN out, so by the time everybody else is on the mend, I am starting to fade....fade... feeling bad finally succombing to it.
    I wondered where you were. !! Saying a prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no Donna - I hope the gang is feeling better. Are they yet? I love the way you wrote this, I love your heart!

    You're a great mom!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts... :O)