Thursday, October 8, 2009

Start Slow and Give Grace

Do you ever notice once a decision is made to begin the hard work of starting something new that a "too much too soon" syndrome seems to set in? I expect all my efforts to be an instant success and any changes I desire to happen now! Instead my expectations usually go unmet and I am let down with big disappointment. Sometimes I even want to give up because I am unwilling to be OK with slow starts and perseverance .

After giving birth to my 3rd child I determined it was time to pay attention to my physical fitness again after approximately eight years of doing pretty much nothing. I was so determined and excited to get started! And get started I did! I jumped in full speed ahead. After my first day at the gym I was feeling pretty proud of myself until I woke up the next morning. I could hardly move. I remember how difficult it was to even lower myself to sit on the toilet. My quads were on fire! I ended up not going back to gym for a good 2 weeks because I also had pulled a muscle and felt awful. I was so discouraged but determined I would not give up. Instead, I humbled myself when I was OK to return to the gym and decided it best to start out a little slower. To take baby steps allowing my body to get used to what I was asking it to do. Why push myself beyond what I was capable of doing? Never mind the buff girl on the treadmill able to run at an insane pace for 45 minutes. At one point she had had a starting place too and if asked I'm sure she also had a story to share. We all do. I learned quickly as I looked around the gym that everyone has a different fitness level and that we are all capable of working our way up to higher and stronger fitness levels. The key is to respect where we are in the process and remember how amazing God has made our bodies. If we condition our bodies though movement we will only get stronger and able to live out our days with more energy. We also do well to work slow and build up to the next fitness level by being consistent and respectful of our current limitations and thankful for the strength we do have!

Spiritual growth somewhat resembles this process as well. We do well to not expect too much too soon, lest we be disappointed in our lack of progress and feel the temptation to give up. We also must resist the temptation to compare our maturity level with others on the faith journey. God is in process with all of us and the real key in our growth is realizing that it ultimately depends on God's work in us not our effort to do better. The Bible says... "It is God who works in you to will and act according to His good purpose." Our part is to love Him with all our energy and to have faith in what He has already done. So the workout in our spiritual life is all about FAITH! When I am discouraged because I feel I am not doing enough myself to grow spiritually I must always come back to faith in the Cross. Jesus death on the Cross took care of all my spiritual issues. His mercy is new every morning and He meets me there. But just like my body has so much potential to bring me life as I work it and move it to give it what it needs to thrive, so too does my heart and my soul. God intends my heart to grow into something beautiful as I open myself up to Him and do the hard work of FAITH. There is so much that is true about you and it is revealed in the Bible. Take a look and decide to have faith that what it says about you is true! Exercise a posture toward God and allow Him to do a beautiful work.

~Donna
Ask me about Fit for Life if you are interested in being part of a physical and spiritual fitness class. :O)

2 comments:

  1. Visiting your blog from Bonita's. I will be reading here! I am excited to read what you will be writing about physical and spiritual fitness.
    I have lost my discipline and resolve I had gained in the past, simply because of a change in routine here. I am ready to pick it up and keep it, and hold on to my discipline this time.
    Getting physically fit for life is definitely rooted in being spiritually fit on a consistent, day-in, day-out passion to do my best for my Lord! This I know. Thanks for writing and sharing with other sisters in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donna! I'm enjoying your blog! Thanks for telling us about it in class.
    Amy (from strong class)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts... :O)